8.16.2012

When I Get Married, My Life Will be Over

Next month, I will be getting married, and my life will be over. I will no longer have my plans, my money, my house, my family, or my life. No, it's not the end of my life, it's the beginning of our life. 

Sarah will be the first to say that I can still be myself, that I can still hangout with my friends, that I can do things that I want to do. The fact of the matter is that everything I do will be through a filter of us from now on, and I would not have it any other way. There will inevitably be things that will cause conflict in our marriage, but that is because we come from two different worlds and two different lives. It's not a matter of not having conflict, it's a matter of mitigating the conflict and dealing with the conflict as quickly as possible when it does arise. 

Single people (and both of us were in this boat on different levels a year ago) see their independence as being mutually exclusive from marriage. Again, not to say that everything will be the same in marriage, we can still have our independence and do the things we love. That is one of the many things I love and appreciate about Sarah. If she doesn't think I am getting to do the things I enjoy enough, she will encourage me to go do those things. It makes them fun again, and it makes time spent together even more enjoyable. She doesn't hold me back, she springs me forward. One of the best things about us is that we enjoy doing so many of those things together - running, cycling, walking, going to movies, going to art shows, hiking, camping, cooking, beer tastings, but most importantly engaging in relationships. Those things have taken on a whole new level of enjoyment since we've been doing them together. What's better than doing the things I love with the person I love. 

She will tell you that I still have my life, and I do, but I don't need my life, because our life is so much more fun and important to me. Next month, my life will be over, and I am ok with that!

1 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you Sean :)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home