1.09.2010

What the Vanity?!

Funerals aren't always the best ways to start a Saturday morning, but today that's how I started my day. Funerals are interesting, because some funerals are very sad in mourning the death of a loved one. Other funerals are happy celebrations of the life that was lived (with sober moments attached). For the record, I hope mine (whether it's next month or in 80 years) follows the latter style. I would much rather have people get together, play games, have great food and drink, and laugh together. If my picture is stuck in the corner of the room behind some plants - if it must - then there's nothing I could do about that.

Never mind my marathon tangent, although one thing that stuck out to me at the funeral today during the eulogy pertains to my tangent. The funeral was for my Godfather's dad who passed away last week at the age of 92. He lived more than a full life, and he was definitely a fighter and showed love to everyone around him. During the eulogy, a story was interjected that went something like this (I'm going to make up my own version, because I don't remember the full version - I apologize):
"There was a boy and his father walking through the mountains. The boy was in awe of the tall snow-capped peaks in the distance. He had never seen wildflowers with so many vibrant colors. There were about as many types of trees as there were number of rocks. Every once in awhile he would see creatures pop their heads out of the ground, just to grab some food and return. The sky was more blue and vast than the boy could imagine. The wind rustling through the leaves reminded the boy of his mom's whispering voice as she tucked him into bed. The spring air tasted as sweet as honey right off of the honeycomb.

As the boy and his dad were walking along the path, they came up to a nest that had fallen out of the tree that had a dead bird in it. The boy was taken off guard instantly, and he forgot about his surroundings. After a moment of pondering, the boy asked his father, "Dad, why did this bird have to die?" The father thought about how he could answer his little boy and finally responded with, "Son, all creatures, animals, and humans have to die at some point." The son still being confused and asked his father as most kids would have asked, "Why?!" The father, realizing his son would not be content with the answer given, thought about it and said, "Son, If you have something forever, then it isn't precious anymore."
How often do we live life as if we expect to have it. Whenever someone around us passes away - either after a long fight for life or a sudden cause - we are shortly reminded about the precious quality of life. Rather than being reminded of this at every memorial, I want to live my life as if it is a precious, fragile gift - which of course it is.

May I stop to talk to a person who needs me, even if I don't know them. May I smile at the cashier, even if I am having the worst day. May I give all of my energy so those around me can gain more. May I love life like I am taking my last breath. For now, I will strive to live life to the fullest (and please call me out if I don't), and when I am gone, celebrate the life you're living and the life I was able to enjoy (yes, I hope this is in 80 years!)

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, Thanks for the reminders. Love you so much A. Teri

6:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the words and the story.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home