4.10.2008

je suis un racqueteur



at the peak, or rather valley, of winter, i was getting bored and had no activities that sounded fun to me. i wanted to do something that kept me active while being able to enjoy it as well. this is about the time a friend of mine told me he was playing racquetball at a local tennis and racquetball club, the sports racket.

i knew that was what i needed to start playing again. i had played when i was a kid a bit (well probably imagined hitting homeruns in the enclosed space) and took a class in college (the only way to use the courts for free), but racquetball is what i needed to play to shoot the breeze with some people while trying to be active at the same time.

i headed over there and signed up for $18/month and started hitting the ball around by myself. the second day i played with my friend and was still trying to get used to hitting the ball. in no time, i met norm who IS lynchburg racquetball. i then met wes and jay, fellow libertyers - both better than me. i then met "outspoken garry," scott (whose in a "big fat loser competition" and is using racquetball as his weight-loss program - and doing well at it too), greg (a semi-retired engineer), ernie (who sounds exactly like my uncle wayne, and who i usually get paired up with in doubles), debbie (the short fiesty lady who beats most of us), and a few others that play occasionally. the network has been really great and i could find someone to play with every day of the week if i wanted.

i started off slowly but slowly got better. norm would keep me after games to practice drills. i finally started lowering my shots and being patient. the one thing i knew i could do no matter how good my skills were was hustle. people who play with me know that they'll have to work to beat me, because i anticipate their shots and hustle to the ball. it doesn't always work, but it works more than me not hustling. jay is also a great hustler, but his 6'3" body gets to more balls than i do.

i started getting into a slump at the end of febrary. i was hitting some good shots and tried to always hit the same shots even when i should have changed it up a bit. i then took a few weeks off for a vacation and when i came back i was ready to go. i beat norm and greg in cutthroat. i beat jay and wes in cutthroat. i beat wes two games. norm and i beat scott and garry. ernie and i beat greg and norm. i played 7.5 hours in two days. it's getting to be a lot of fun, and people have been commenting on my progression and constant hustle...i like this racquetaball stuff. you might as well call me a racqueteur - one who loves racquetball (according to me at least).

8 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's not soccer, but . . .

Thanks for the call last week. I have no I dea what your message said (it was pretty garbled), but I'm pretty sure you told me to call you. I'll try to find time, but I'm crazy busy trying to finish school.

I really wish you could join me and dad on Tour Across America 2008.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sean-i'm ready for the challenge to take you on. i feel i can still give you a good game. my serves will keep me in the game-dad

9:09 AM  
Blogger Tina J said...

Dad and I played some racquetball "back in the days" - cheap dates :-)You never know who you might meet along the way...... Have fun!

9:17 AM  
Blogger davidtreece said...

good update...

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Hi Sean! Remember when you played raquetball with my dad and me when you were in Minnesota? Now I can say I played raquetball with the famous raqueteur! Anna misses Uncle Sean. Any chance you can make it to MN the week after the 4th of July? Love, Ginny

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled "lynchburg racquetball" and found your blog at the top of the list. I'm flattered that you wrote "... norm who IS lynchburg racquetball", but I hasten to say I have a better chance of matching my enjoyment of racquetball than my skill against racquetball players of Lynchburg.

I checked out the links to some of your other blogs. I have not read but I have heard interesting excerpts from Freakonomics so I share your admiration of the book.

While I am a bit of an old fogie, I'm an advanced old fogie. That means I don't carry a cell phone, but I do have an iPod Shuffle and listen to podcasts. I have downloaded HBR podcasts since its inception, but I have gotten around to listening to only the first one. I'm struggling to keep up with the NPR and Scientific American podcasts. Only when I go on car trips and lane trips do I catch up. Maybe I'll start making a dent in the HBR podcasts during my vacation travels.

The next times we meet, let's shoot the breeze about economics. I know not and know I know not, so I'm open to listening and learning.

Meanwhile, I'm glad you enjoy racquetball. Have fun!

Norm

7:35 PM  
Blogger davidtreece said...

neglect

6:30 PM  
Blogger davidtreece said...

moved across the country. left us behind. can't even give us an update. *depressed.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home